What is the STEP Council of the Genesee Region?
STEP is a Not-for-profit [IRS tax exempt 501(c)(3)] organization which has its roots with a group of physicians who volunteered to train ambulance personnel in 1963, three years before the EMS White Paper Accidental Death and Disability: The Neglected Disease of Modern Society was published by the Institute of Medicine.
Today STEP is comprised of Physicians, Nurses, Paramedics, EMTs, and others who have all come together to continue the spirit of EMS improvement started in the 1960′s, and to develop new programs as well. The members of STEP are all volunteers and STEP devotes 100% of its revenue to our mission. Please visit our History of STEP page for our complete story.
The mission of STEP is to educate and promote innovations and opportunities for the improvement of emergency services.
- The 21st annual STEP Conference was held March 26-28, 2015 at the RIT Inn and Conference Center. See more information by clicking the Past Conferences tab.
- The 22nd annual conference is being planned for April 8-9, 2016 with a preconference on April 7th. The location will be changed to the Hilton Garden Inn within the brand new CollegeTown property in Rochester, NY. Stay tuned for further details which will be listed on the conference page.
- The Emergency Services Directory, www.EmergencyServicesDirectory.org, provides a single source of online contact information for over 4900 emergency response agencies in the 62 counties in New York State and many national resouce organizations which support emergency services. It is capable of expansion to other regions.
- STEP’s History and Archives committee collects historical documents, equipment, and stories about these emergency services for the EMS archives
- The STEP Endowment Fund was established in 1996, to provide funds for the development of methods to improve Emergency Medical Services in the region. Many of STEP’s projects such as the Emergency Services Directory and annual STEP Conference are supported by these funds.
An update on STEP’s recent activities can be found by clicking the link under ‘About STEP’.